Skip to main content

A Reflection On Media Blogs


While this experience has been interesting and provided me with an opportunity to explore ideas that I wouldn't have acknowledged otherwise, it has left me with a greater feeling of cynicism and lack of hope for our future. I realize that the intent of this project was to make my peers and I more aware of media and the ways in which media conglomerates aid companies in manipulating us. I think it served that purpose. However, the sheer amount of media we are exposed to and the desperate attempts by media companies to grab our attention has resulted in our living in a world practically made of marketing. And I can't see it getting much better.

As a result of this project, my media consumption habits have not changed, but my mindset while consuming media has. I am still willingly exposing myself to the marketing on Youtube and Netflix, and I still read news online, where ads from various sponsors dance in small squares along the margins of the text. The difference is that now I ask myself, "Are the values represented by this company aligned with this show/story?" and, "What are they really trying to tell me when they say ______?" I am more skeptical of the motives behind each advertisement, and I will continue to be cognizant of the implicit messages I might be absorbing from each individual ad and ads in general. As I grow older, and I inevitably become less flexible and more set in my ways, I hope I err on the side of skepticism and caution than on the side of gullibility and blind acceptance. I also hope I can maintain an open mind and not rely on preconceived notions and the ideals imprinted on me by media  to make my decisions.

My priority in consuming media is that I have the skillset necessary to take in information and distinguish what's worthy of fact-status and what's false. Media literacy is important (now more than ever) because of the overwhelming amount of information that's available. Not only do we have various biased perspectives on a singular topic available at our fingertips, but profit is driven by eliciting an emotional response and inciting interest from an audience. It is important that we are able to avoid "news" that's presented in a tabloid manner because it's designed to be the most emotionally appealing and therefore the most false. Not only do we have the freedom to choose what we believe - we also have the freedom to share whatever information we like. Because we have the ability to influence what others hear and read on social media and information-sharing platforms, we cannot afford to be blind the the implicit messages in the media we're exposed to. Such negligence could result in the spread of misinformation and the perpetuation of ignorance.

It is also vital that we are educated as consumers. Not only is it dangerous to fall into the trap of spending money for personal fulfillment, it is important that we maintain a dedication to genuine personal connection. If parents believe that they can foster connection with their children over material items or they can save their children from humiliation because of the status associated with their possessions, then we risk losing the ability to teach our kids what love and connection are. If we show love in our romantic relationships with gifts or items that are ranked in value according to their cost or shininess, then we will lose the ability to love fully. Consumers should not only be concerned with the items they're consuming, but the messages that accompany those items and the brand that distributes those items too.

Through keeping this blog, I get an opportunity to think deeply about the media I encounter in my day-to-day life. I also get a fair dose of frustration and boredom, but the opportunity to explore details and ideas that I would otherwise ignore has been interesting. Most importantly, I have gotten practice in applying the concepts associated with media literacy, and I feel better-equipped to process the implicit messaging in media and guide others in my life as they do the same.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Si Perfume - Giorgio Armani (Post 2)

Perfume campaigns are notoriously vague, and they often portray sexualized famous people trying to convince the commoners (us) that we will be beautiful once we smell good. This campaign, "Si by Giorgio Armani," takes a different approach. Its main message is that women should take control of their lives and just say, "SÌ." By using their perfume as a symbol of power rather than sex, they are riding the wave of feminism in popular culture and telling their viewers that women will finally have the autonomy and control we deserve the moment we walk through a cloud of their smell-fluid. Shockingly, I think this is absolute bullshit. First, the character in the commercial is very far removed from reality. The idea of freedom she embodies involves sky-diving, wearing couture in a shopping market, and stealing a man's jacket. Few sane people who would buy this perfume, i.e. their target demographic, have the money to go sky-diving, sport couture simply because the

"Loyalty beyond reason is where the profits lie." (Post 3)

Many of the ideas presented in  The Persuaders , a documentary on the advertising industry by Frontline PBS, both shocked me and rang alarmingly true. The line that struck me most was, "Loyalty beyond reason is where the profits lie." As sickening as this concept is, I think we can all accept that there's truth to it. Humans feel the need to be accepted, and when they're not receiving the validation they want from the people around them, they turn to something with which they can affiliate. This is where advertising is successful. Cults require social sacrifice and the worship of an immediately visible leader. Brands are simply more convenient. They require monetary sacrifice of a certain, specified amount, and you don't ever have to see the faces of the people whose pockets you're lining. And all the while, your affiliation with that brand gets you the social acceptance you have always longed for. When an individual becomes affiliated with a brand to t

The Internet: The Factual Candy Store (Post 6)

The standard of truth held dear by news media organizations and American culture has been diminished and often disregarded because of the rise of the internet. That is not to say that we were ever entirely truthful. While our version of democracy has always required a certain degree of transparency and communication, we have never shied away from propaganda and smear campaigns and rose-colored depictions of our own society (except when it was inconvenient). However, the internet has given way to a whole new form of communication and unprecedented access to information. People are free to choose whose writing they read and whose version of truth they listen to because there is an overwhelming variety of options and no time to listen to all of them. And this is bad. It opens new markets. Because we want to hear what we already believe, we seem to have reached the consensus that there is no longer a need for local papers and truthful news,